Good morning Year 1!
Here is a list of the learning opportunities for today.
The Year 1 Team
English: Write about a favourite day during the Easter break. Use time words to start each new sentence (First, Next, Then, After that and Finally).
Challenge: Include and, so, but, because conjunctions to add more detail to sentences.
- Use a capital letter at the start of a new sentence,
- Put a full stop or exclamation mark at the end of a sentence,
- Use finger spaces to separate each word.
Maths: Roll a dice 3 times. How many new numbers can you make by swapping the digits around?
Put the new numbers made in order starting with the smallest number by comparing the amount of hundreds, tens and ones.
Challenge: Repeat rolling the dice 4 times creating a 4 digit number.
Other: Remind each other about the Elmer story you read yesterday. Use a cardboard tube and make an Elmer using your own choice of colours. See below for inspiration. You could make other animals from the story too!
PHONICS: This weeks focus: zz, qu, ch (Phase 3 revision).
Phonics Play is offering free subscription during school closure. This enables you and the children to have full access to the Phonics Play resources. Please spend some time, this week, to familiarise with the site and resources.
- Phonics Play (User name: March, Password: Home): https://www.phonicsplay.co.uk/freeIndex.htm
- Phonics Bloom: https://www.phonicsbloom.com/
- Letters and Sounds free Resources: https://www.letters-and-sounds.com/
Any online game must be checked first by an adult and closely monitored. Children also benefit from applying the sounds they are learning through writing them into sentences as well as reading them.
READING: Oxford Reading Owl is a free resource that has increased its available resources during school closure. It has a fantastic selection of Oxford Reading books for the children to read at their level.
- Follow the link: https://home.oxfordowl.co.uk/.
- Click on ‘Browse E-books’
- Click on ‘free e-book library’.
- Choose a book
As well as listening to the children read, it also benefits them to hear adults read and discuss the story.
PHYSICAL ACTIVITY: As well as having fun in the garden for daily exercise (throwing and catching, running, skipping, bouncing on a trampoline, etc), some other fun routines for the children to follow are:
- Wake Up, Shake Up Lazytown
- Cosmic Kids Yoga.
- Joe Wicks Daily PE lessons.
These can be typed into a search engine by an adult who will then need to monitor them.