Good morning Year 1!
Here is a list of the learning opportunities for today.
Have a fabulous weekend!
The Year 1 Team!
English: Tricky Words Memory Game
- Write out the Phase 3 tricky words on individual pieces of paper or card twice so that there are 2 of each word (please look at attached PDF for the word lists).
- Place all the words face down on the floor or table.
- Take turns to turn over 2 words (read the words aloud that have been turned over).
- If the words match, the player keeps them. If the words don’t match, put them back in the same space, face down.
- The person with the most words at the end of the game, wins!
This can be repeated with phase 4 and 5 words.
Maths: Tired Teddy!
Help Teddy Get to Bed! Place a cuddly toy in one area of the house and then using directional language (e.g. two steps forwards, turn right) explain where Teddy needs to go to get to bed.
Challenge: Use a blind fold to reinforce the importance of listening when following directions!
Other: With horizons that seem to stretch out forever across the savannahs and plains of East Africa, Kenya is where beautiful sunsets are almost a given. Shades of yellow turn orange and red as the sun makes its way behind the silhouettes of acacia trees and wildlife.
Have a try at creating your own African sunset using a medium of your choice (pens, pencils, collage, and paint) and add some silhouettes. Remember, the bolder and brighter in colour, the better! Please use the pictures below for inspiration and the attached PDF of silhouette animal outlines, to help, if needed.
PHONICS: Please see the attached PDF for this week’s daily phonic sessions and support structure. This is to guide parents when supporting their child with phonics and will be most effective if it is done every day.
Phase 5: ou, ir, alternative pronunciation for ‘er’ and ‘y’
Useful phonics websites: (An adult must always check these)
- Phonics Play (User name: March, Password: Home): https://www.phonicsplay.co.uk/freeIndex.htm
- Phonics Bloom: https://www.phonicsbloom.com/
- Letters and Sounds free Resources: https://www.letters-and-sounds.com/
- Spooky Spellings (Year 1) https://www.ictgames.com/mobilePage/spookySpellings/index.html
READING: Oxford Reading Owl has a fantastic selection of Oxford Reading books for the children to read at their level.
- Follow the link: https://home.oxfordowl.co.uk/.
- Click on ‘Browse E-books’
- Click on ‘free e-book library’.
- Choose a book
As well as listening to the children read, it also benefits them to hear adults read and discuss the story.
PHYSICAL ACTIVITY: As well as having fun in the garden for daily exercise, some other fun routines for the children to follow are:
- Wake Up, Shake Up Lazytown
- Cosmic Kids Yoga.
- Joe Wicks Daily PE lessons.
- Andy’s Wild Workouts
- GoNoodle (YouTube videos)
These can be typed into a search engine by an adult who will then need to check them.