Good morning Year 1!
Here is a list of the learning opportunities for today… Have fun!
The Year 1 Team!
Watch the Kenyan story Handa’s Surprise again.
- Think about the different fruit in the Handa’s surprise story and listen to the adjectives used to describe what they are like.
- Draw pictures of the different fruit that you like (and don’t like) and make a list of adjectives that could describe what they look like, feel like and taste like.
Maths: Wonderful Word Problems!
Improve your knowledge of addition and subtraction by using it to solve word problems. Choose which colour set of word problems from the attached PDF that would be best for you!
Other: Fabulous Family!
Family is a huge part in African life and living… Large families will often live with each other and work with each other, especially in rural areas.
- Think about and talk about who you have in your family and why they are special to you.
- Make a family people chain and decorate each person to look like the family member that they are meant to be.
- Give a family member a call today and tell them why they are special!
PHONICS: Please see the attached PDF for this week’s daily phonic sessions and support structure. This is to guide parents when supporting their child with phonics and will be most effective if it is done every day.
Phase 5: ou, ir, alternative pronunciation for ‘er’ and ‘y’
Useful phonics websites: (An adult must always check these)
- Phonics Play (User name: March, Password: Home): https://www.phonicsplay.co.uk/freeIndex.htm
- Phonics Bloom: https://www.phonicsbloom.com/
- Letters and Sounds free Resources: https://www.letters-and-sounds.com/
- Spooky Spellings (Year 1) https://www.ictgames.com/mobilePage/spookySpellings/index.html
READING: Oxford Reading Owl has a fantastic selection of Oxford Reading books for the children to read at their level.
- Follow the link: https://home.oxfordowl.co.uk/.
- Click on ‘Browse E-books’
- Click on ‘free e-book library’.
- Choose a book
As well as listening to the children read, it also benefits them to hear adults read and discuss the story.
PHYSICAL ACTIVITY: As well as having fun in the garden for daily exercise, some other fun routines for the children to follow are:
- Wake Up, Shake Up Lazytown
- Cosmic Kids Yoga.
- Joe Wicks Daily PE lessons.
- Andy’s Wild Workouts
- GoNoodle (YouTube videos)
These can be typed into a search engine by an adult who will then need to check them.