Good morning Year 1!
Here is a list of the learning opportunities for today… Have fun!
The Year 1 Team!
English: The Great Barrier Reef – Australia
The Great Barrier Reef is the largest reef system in the world, stretching far down the coast of Queensland in Australia. The reef is home to thousands of species of marine life, from coral and tropical fish to sharks and sea turtles.
Look at images of the Great Barrier Reef. Make a list of adjectives to describe the coral, the fish and other creatures living there.
Maths: Wonderful Word Problems!
Improve your knowledge of doubling and halving by using it to solve word problems from the attached PDF.
Other: The Great Barrier Reef – Australia
- Watch the short clip using the link below to learn about some of the marine life that you would find in a coral reef:
- Create your own colourful coral reef life using the pictures below for inspiration.
PHONICS: Please see the attached PDF for this week’s daily phonic sessions and support structure. This is to guide parents when supporting their child with phonics and will be most effective if it is done every day.
Phase 5: ph, ie, alternative pronunciation for ‘ou’ and ‘o’
Useful phonics websites: (An adult must always check these)
- Phonics Play (User name: March, Password: Home): https://www.phonicsplay.co.uk/freeIndex.htm
- Phonics Bloom: https://www.phonicsbloom.com/
- Letters and Sounds free Resources: https://www.letters-and-sounds.com/
- Spooky Spellings (Year 1) https://www.ictgames.com/mobilePage/spookySpellings/index.html
READING: Oxford Reading Owl has a fantastic selection of Oxford Reading books for the children to read at their level.
- Follow the link: https://home.oxfordowl.co.uk/.
- Click on ‘Browse E-books’
- Click on ‘free e-book library’.
- Choose a book
As well as listening to the children read, it also benefits them to hear adults read and discuss the story.
PHYSICAL ACTIVITY: As well as having fun in the garden for daily exercise, some other fun routines for the children to follow are:
- Wake Up, Shake Up Lazytown
- Cosmic Kids Yoga.
- Joe Wicks Daily PE lessons.
- Andy’s Wild Workouts
- GoNoodle (YouTube videos)
These can be typed into a search engine by an adult who will then need to check them.