Good morning Castle Conquerors.
WOW, what a busy week you have all had!
You have been amazing Castle Conquerors and you have completed some fantastic learning. We have another busy day ahead so try your best, keep going and most importantly, be happy and have fun!
Here are your challenges for today:
PHONICS: Phase 3 tricky words
Listen to and sing along to the phase 3 tricky word song:
Tricky Word Memory Game:
Neatly, write each phase 3 tricky words on 2 pieces of card to create two words for each (If you need help with writing these, an adult can help).
How To Play:
- Place the cards face down on a table, so you cannot see the word.
- Turn two cards over at a time.
- Read the words on the cards turned over.
- If the words are the same, keep them.
- If the words are different, turn them back face down, in the same place.
- Repeat the above, until you have found all of the word pairs.
Super Challenge: Write sentences about castles, in your scrapbook, using the phase 3 tricky words.
Super Challenge Top Tips:
- Include a capital letter at the start of every sentence.
- Use finger spaces between each word.
- Include end punctuation, such as a full stop at the end of every sentence.
- Make sure your sentence makes sense when you read it.
Castle Challenge 1: ‘Make 20’ Lucky Dip
- Neatly, write 10 numbers between 1 to 20 on pieces of paper.
- Place the pieces of paper in a tub.
- Pick a number from the tub and work out what number you would need to add to it to make 20.
- Write the number sentence that you used to make 20, for example: 12 + 8 = 20
- Count on in hops from the number picked using a 0 to 20 number line (or a ruler). How many hops did you count?
2. Use objects, such as marbles, blocks, dried pasta, etc.
- First, count out the amount of objects for the number picked.
- Then add the rest needed to make 20.
- How many more did you need to make 20?
Simplify: Use numbers between 1 and 10
Challenge further: Write 10 numbers between 1 and 30 and make 30 from the numbers picked.
CASTLE CHALLENGE 2: Draw and colour a knight in shining armour!
Follow the video instructions below to draw a knight in shining armour.
CASTLE CHALLENGE 3: PE with Mr Ladlow
To be a Castle Conqueror, you need to be fit and healthy. Follow Mr Ladlow’s PE session, shown on the Year One Blog Page.
READING: Oxford Reading Owl has a fantastic selection of Oxford Reading books for the children to read at their level.
- Follow the link: https://home.oxfordowl.co.uk/.
- Click on ‘Browse E-books’
- Click on ‘free e-book library’.
- Choose a book
- You can be more specific in your book search and type by selecting browse by age or browse by series.
As well as listening to the children read, it also benefits them to hear adults read and discuss the story together.
For further learning ideas whilst working at home, please have a look at the link below.
Time for a laugh with a cracking castle joke!
Q: Which day of the week do dragons eat the most knights?
Have a fantastic day and great weekend!
The Year 1 Team