Good morning Year 1.
We hope that you have had a brilliant weekend doing many things that you enjoy!
We have a great week of learning this week, based around castle stories and characters. Have fun and do the best that you can do.
Here is your learning for today:
PHONICS: phase 3 ‘igh’ revision
Listen to and sing along to the ‘igh’ song.
What sound does ‘igh’ make?
How many new ‘igh’ words can you think of that weren’t in the song?
Super Challenge (optional)
- Take a line for a walk (spelling scribble) around the page and choose ‘igh’ words to fill in the gaps. Remember to be as neat as you can and use different, bright colours for each word.
Castle Challenge 1: Sleeping Beauty
- Listen to the story Sleeping Beauty read by an adult at home (if you have it) or watch the story animation below:
2. After listening/watching,
- Talk about the different characters in the story.
- Talk about what happens at the beginning, middle and end of the story.
- Talk about how the characters feel at different parts of the story.
3. Performance time (optional)
Use your toys/teddies/dolls that you have at home to act out the story and perform/show it to an adult.
Top Tips for performing:
- Face the audience (whoever is watching the performance).
- Use loud and clear voices.
- Use a different voice for each character.
Castle Challenge 2: Subtraction
Use different ways to help complete subtraction problems from 20.
- Subtract a number from 20 objects (dried pasta, marbles, Lego pieces, etc) How many do you have left?
- Count back in hops, the amount, starting from 20 on a number line. What number did you land on?
20 – 7 =
20 – 4 =
20 – 3 =
20 – 12 =
20 – 9 =
Super challenge (optional):
Choose from a method shown above and subtract from 30.
Castle Challenge 3: Fairy Floss Yoga
In the Sleeping Beauty story, there were three fairies.
Follow the Cosmic Kids Yoga adventure with Fairy Floss below.
READING: Oxford Reading Owl has a fantastic selection of Oxford Reading books for the children to read at their level.
- Follow the link: https://home.oxfordowl.co.uk/.
- Click on ‘Browse E-books’
- Click on ‘free e-book library’.
- Choose a book
- You can be more specific in your book search and type by selecting browse by age or browse by series.
As well as listening to the children read, it also benefits them to hear adults read and discuss the story together.
FURTHER HOME LEAR%NING IDEAS:
For further learning ideas whilst working at home, please have a look at the link below.
Time for a laugh with a cracking castle joke!
Q: What eats more knights than a dragon?
A: Two dragons.
Have a fantastic day!
The Year 1 Team