Good morning Year 1!
Did you see the beautiful rainbow yesterday?
Here is a list of the learning opportunities for today. It is extremely beneficial to the children to have the adult interaction and support that you are giving them throughout these activities.
Hope you all have a terrific Tuesday!
The Year 1 Team!
English (Over 2 days): Use the comic strip you made yesterday to help write a short story about the adventures of an every day superhero. Try to include story openers (One day, On a sunny day, One rainy day,)
Challenge: Can you include an ‘and, but, because’ conjunction to join 2 simple sentences together? Can you include an adverb (quickly ran)? Can you include an adjective (red hat)?
Remember: Finger spaces, capital letter at the start of a sentence, a full stop or an exclamation mark at the end of a sentence.
Maths (Over 2 days): Dicing with Digits!
- Roll a dice twice to create a 2 – digit number. Partition the number into tens and ones drawing and using the ‘Abacus Method’. Write the corresponding additions. See the example below…
2. Repeat the above rolling a dice 3 times to create a 3 – digit number, partitioning into hundreds, tens and ones.
3. Follow the link to play the interactive online game Place Value Basketball. It is a fun, base ten blocks game which helps children to know what each digit in either a two or three digit number represents. https://www.topmarks.co.uk/learning-to-count/place-value-basketball
Other: Paint, collage, or colour using pens, pencils or crayons a beautiful rainbow picture using the acrostic poem to order the colours.
Phonics: This weeks focus: wh ‘wh’ always comes at the start of the word (what, when), ph (dolphin, alphabet, elephant), ew ew always comes at the end (threw, grew, chew)
Phonics Bloom: https://www.phonicsbloom.com/ Phonics Play (free resources): https://www.phonicsplay.co.uk/freeIndex.htm Letters and Sounds free Resources: https://www.letters-and-sounds.com/
Children also benefit from applying the sounds they are learning through writing them into sentences as well as reading them.
Any online game must be checked first by an adult and closely monitored,
READING: Please continue to regularly listen to your child read.
It also benefits children to hear adults read to them and discuss the story.
PHYSICAL ACTIVITY: it is very important that the children get daily exercise. As well as having fun in the garden (throwing and catching, running, bouncing on a trampoline, etc) , some other fun routines for the children to follow are:
- Wake Up, Shake Up Lazytown
- Cosmic Kids Yoga.
- Joe Wicks Daily PE lessons.
These can be typed into a search engine by an adult who will then need to monitor them.