Good morning Year 1!
We hope you had a lovely weekend. You have another exciting week of fun activities that we have prepared for you. Here is a list of the learning opportunities for today… Have a fabulous day!
The Year 1 Team!
English: G’day mate!
Today, you will be travelling to Australia, the smallest continent and one of the largest countries on Earth.
Use Espresso to find out about Australia. You could find out about the weather, people, landmarks, food and animals. Please follow the instructions below to access Espresso (with support from an adult)
Discovery Education Espresso
- Follow the link https://www.discoveryeducation.co.uk
- click on log in on the top right hand corner then Espresso
- Scroll down a little – Click log in to Espresso using the details below:
- Username – student11995
- Password – kelvedon
- Type in Australia into the search bar at the top and select KS1 in the Key stage options.
- Scroll Down to Espresso Passport
- Click on Australia on the map (Visit Australia).
Imagine that you have visited Australia. Write a postcard to a friend or relative telling them about your holiday. You might want to include what the weather was like, interesting landmarks that you visited and anything else that you enjoyed.
Challenge: Include ‘and, because’ conjunction to join 2 simple sentences together.
Maths: 4-in-a-row 2D shape game
Play this fun game with a partner to help you learn about the different 2D shapes. If you are unable to print the attached PDF game board, be very resourceful and ask a grown up to draw it for you.
Other: Continents and Oceans Sing-a-Long!
Listen to and sing-a-long to the continents and oceans song following the links below:
Continents song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6DSMZ8b3LE
Oceans song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6BE4VcYngQ
Challenge Activity: Use the blank world map attached below. Colour the different continents and write or stick pre-written continents and oceans in the correct places on the map.
PHONICS: Please see the attached PDF for this week’s daily phonic sessions and support structure. This is to guide parents when supporting their child with phonics and will be most effective if it is done every day.
Phase 5: ph, ie, alternative pronunciation for ‘ou’ and ‘o’
Useful phonics websites: (An adult must always check these)
- Phonics Play (User name: March, Password: Home): https://www.phonicsplay.co.uk/freeIndex.htm
- Phonics Bloom: https://www.phonicsbloom.com/
- Letters and Sounds free Resources: https://www.letters-and-sounds.com/
- Spooky Spellings (Year 1) https://www.ictgames.com/mobilePage/spookySpellings/index.html
READING: Oxford Reading Owl has a fantastic selection of Oxford Reading books for the children to read at their level.
- Follow the link: https://home.oxfordowl.co.uk/.
- Click on ‘Browse E-books’
- Click on ‘free e-book library’.
- Choose a book
As well as listening to the children read, it also benefits them to hear adults read and discuss the story.
PHYSICAL ACTIVITY: As well as having fun in the garden for daily exercise, some other fun routines for the children to follow are:
- Wake Up, Shake Up Lazytown
- Cosmic Kids Yoga.
- Joe Wicks Daily PE lessons.
- Andy’s Wild Workouts
- GoNoodle (YouTube videos)
These can be typed into a search engine by an adult who will then need to check them.